Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I Hate To Cook But I Have To If I Want Some Dinner Baked Chicken Taquitos

So, I actually made something for dinner last night that tasted pretty good and wasn't too hard to make. Shock!

This baked chicken taquito recipe came from melskitchencafe.com and I'm definitely going back and seeing if there are more recipes I might like to try. Well, might force myself to try anyway. I left some of the ingredients out, like the sliced green onion and fresh cilantro and realized just now that I forgot all about the fresh lime juice, I was going to see if I had one of those little plastic limes with the juice inside in the fridge but that slipped my mind and I highly doubt that I have a little plastic lime with the juice inside in the fridge anyway. Definitely no fresh limes in there anywhere.

I also cut the recipe in half because I didn't want to waste too many ingredients if I didn't like the outcome. Keith had gone to work yesterday afternoon so didn't get to taste these taquitos but I think he also would have liked them.

Here's what you need:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup green salsa (I used green taco sauce instead of salsa)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 green onion, sliced finely, about 2 tbsp
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup grated monterey jack cheese or pepper jack if you want more spice. I used colby/jack but you could use whatever kind of cheese you like best.
small yellow or white corn tortillas- I used flour tortillas, I get the low carb ones, La Bonita makes the best tasting of the lower carb variety.

And here is what you do:
1/ Heat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. And now, reading over this I realize that I actually set the oven to 350, don't know why, maybe because I tend to skim over recipes because I don't like to cook, who knows. It all worked out okay, though.
2/ In a medium sized bowl, mix all of the ingredients up to the cilantro, onion, chicken and cheese. Then add the cilantro, onion, chicken and cheese. Or do like I did and don't read that part and just mix it all up together all at once. You can fix this part way ahead of when you want to make the taquitos and just keep it in the fridge till cooking time.
3/ Working with 3-4 tortillas at a time, put them in between damp paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds so that the tortillas don't crack when you are rolling them. The low carb flour tortillas work really well for rolling, I'm sure the corn ones would be a little more frustrating and probably crack quite a bit despite the microwaving. Then put a couple of tablespoons of filling on the lower third of the tortilla and roll them up tightly, using toothpicks to hold them together if necessary.
4/ Placed filled taquitos seam side down on the foil lined baking sheet, making sure they don't touch each other. When ready to bake, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and lightly sprinkle some kosher salt on top. I didn't do this part either because of the whole not reading the instructions thoroughly enough thing. What is up with that, anyway? Maybe it's because I hate to cook. Or I'm just lazy.
5/ Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown. I turned my taquitos over halfway through the baking but then they started to unroll so maybe don't turn them over.

You can dip these in whatever you like, salsa, sour cream, quacamole, etc. I added some more shredded cheese to the tops of them while they were still hot and by the time they were cool enough to eat the cheese had melted nicely. I didn't have anything to dip them in but they tasted good and I'm sure I will use this recipe again. Maybe even do it correctly next time now that I've read it all the way through.

I came out with 4 flour taquitos after cutting the recipe in half, and I stuffed them rather full, so this recipe would probably make about a dozen corn taquitos and 8-10 flour ones.



No comments: