Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Salad for Dinner

This past weekend was hot hot hot, so for dinner I wanted to fix something cool, cool, cool. We all know by now what an uninspired cook I am and how I'd much rather just go get a pizza than cook, but pizza every night is just not good for my diet although I could quite happily live the rest of my life eating just that. Because pizza is good. And cheap. And did I say it's good?

So, I have a couple of salads in my dinner menu ideas folder in my head, salads that are easy to fix and keep the kitchen cool, and clean up is fairly easy and if you are really lazy you could just use paper plates.

Anyway. On Saturday we had Chinese Chicken Salad.

Here is what you need:
1/ cooked chicken- you could buy precooked chicken if you are feeling exceptionally lazy or just cook it like I do where you put the chicken breasts in a frying pan (that has a lid) and put a little oil, seasonings, a little water, whatever you want to cook your chicken in and cook it on medium heat for about 10 minutes per side, keeping the lid on to keep the chicken from drying out. You just want it a little browned, not all crispy.
2/ bagged coleslaw mix or you can chop up the cabbage yourself, but why go to all that work?
3/ toasted sliced almonds
4/ chow mein noodles or those crispy wonton strips- I found some China Boy brand chow mein type noodles at Target that are actually rice noodles that are a little thinner than regular chow mein noodles and I like these better in my salad.
5/ dressing- we use Soy Vay Toasted Sesame brand which is kind of pricey but the best tasting premade dressing, or you could be all inventive and make your own dressing.

I use big soup bowls for this salad, putting the cole slaw in first, then slicing up the chicken breasts and putting them on top, then sprinkling the almonds and chow mein noodles over the cabbage and chicken, and then adding the dressing to taste and mixing it all together. It's tasty and filling but can cause gas from the cabbage.

I wanted to include some pictures, but for some reason trying to add pictures to my posts have been difficult lately with all of the changes that blogger keeps making to their format and every time I try to add a picture it doesn't go where I want it to go and then won't let me type below it and life is frustrating enough at times where I don't need trying to put a picture on my post adding to the frustration. So no pictures.

No comments: