Monday, January 23, 2012

Meh

Another rather dull weekend. Keith worked on the patio on Saturday and I guess it's actually finished now except for the ground underneath it all which is still dirt and weeds and someday we'll have paver blocks on the ground instead of dirt and weeds. He got a bonus check for 1000 days of no accidents at work last week which after taxes was like $175 and he is supposed to spend that on pavers. I think I'll need to remind him to go get the pavers this week before the money in his wallet gets frittered away on chips and beer like so many other little bonus checks have had a tendency to do.

Then Sunday was football and naps. I didn't take a nap but was bored all day and kind of restless and really didn't feel like doing much of anything.

I put some steaks in the crock pot yesterday, following a recipe that I think I'll try in the oven next time instead. You take your steaks and stick them in the crock pot and then mix up 1 cup of ketchup and 1 cup of brown sugar only I did 1/2 cup of each because we didn't have 6-8 steaks like the recipe said and that sounded like a whole lot of sauce for only 2 steaks. You sprinkle some salt, pepper and a few dashes of worchestershire sauce on top, then you cook on high for 3 hours, then low for 3 hours. The flavor was good but the steaks were incredibly dry. Tender, but dry, dry, dry. I know lots of people swear by their crock pots but it seems that every time I use it I'm very disappointed in the food. It's always dry or overcooked or something. So, back in the cupboard you go, crock pot.

I tried another new recipe this weekend that did come out good and kind of different. Healthy, too. Low fat and all that crap. This made enough for two meals or feeding a bunch of people.

Three Chili Turkey Tacos

1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/3 cup beer (I had to send Keith to the store to buy some beer for this, he wasn't too unhappy about that)
1/3 cup chili sauce- the bottled stuff
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
3 1/4 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced (I left this out because garlic really disagrees with me these days)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
taco shells or tortillas to make your own taco shells or whatever. We only eat the expensive low carb tortillas.
shredded cheese and lettuce or whatever else you want on your tacos.

In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion, and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain. My turkey had no fat in it to drain, I actually had to add a little oil to the skillet to keep it from sticking to the pan.

Stir in the beer, chili sauce, chilies, etc. All the rest of the ingredients except for the taco shells and cheese. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes or until heated through.

Eat.

This was good, kind of sweet from the red pepper and chili sauce rather than spicy. I would definitely make this again.

No comments: