Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hamburger Soup

Or you could thrill the kids (or your husband with the 12 year old's sense of humor) and call this hamBOOGer soup.

This is an easy and kind of cheap recipe and you could probably put whatever kind of vegetables in here that you want, like some zucchini or whatever. Or not. Whatever. It's filling and Keith liked it enough to have two helpings last night and then he also took some to work with him today for his lunch.

So, you need:
1 lb hamburger, browned and drained.
4 cups water.
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained. Now, if you are like me and really don't like chunks of tomato in your food (blechh) you can just use a same size can of tomato sauce.
3 md. carrots, sliced.
2 md. potatoes, peeled and cubed.
1 md. onion, diced.
1/2 cup chopped celery ( I left this out last night because I didn't have any celery and I didn't want to buy a whole head or whatever it's called of celery for just 1/2 cup because we never eat the rest of the celery and it tasted just fine without it.)
4 beef bouillon cubes.
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper.
1/4 tsp. dried oregano.
1 cup fresh or frozen green beans. (Last night I used frozen corn instead of green beans and I like the corn way better, but you could always throw caution to the wind and USE BOTH!)

Put all of the ingredients except for the green beans or corn or whatever into a big soup pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. I left Keith at home to watch the pot while I ran some errands so this actually cooked for about an hour and I think it tasted better cooked longer but the potatoes started to get mushy.
Add the green beans or corn or whatever other frozen veg you want and simmer for another 15 minutes or so.

Eat. Serves a lot. Like 4 big big bowls.

I imagine that if you want to get even healthier you could use ground turkey instead of the beef. Maybe I'll try that next time because Keith was told to avoid red meat as much as possible which we don't eat a lot of anyway. Or you could just leave out the meat entirely and just have vegetable soup.

No comments: