Monday, August 2, 2010

Saving Money

As I'm sure everyone knows by now we have been on a rather tight budget ever since the Great Economy Crash of '08 and we have learned many ways to stretch that buck. Although it still seems that the money trickles away sometimes and I'm not quite sure where it all goes. I do know that this weekend some of it went for assorted herbicides for the grass to get rid of the bad grass that is making our yard look all funky and making our homeowner's association put us on the 'Bad Homeowners and Let's Harass Them Because Their Yard Looks Like Crap' list. That was about $30.00 right there, and then there was the two trips to Walmart to get a new watchband for Keith's watch, the first watchband not fitting right resulting in having to return it and get another one which still doesn't fit right, and then there was having to put gas in the car so he could get to work this week.

Anyway, this morning I had to go to Walmart to get a big mailing envelope for a big order of sale stuff from my shop, a trip that I didn't mind in the least because IT WAS A BIG ORDER-YAY! and as I was walking to the checkouts I glanced at the magazine rack and was drawn to the drama that was on the cover of this week's People magazine. I used to buy People every single week, not so much for the celebrity gossip, because, really, who gives a crap about that stupid Bachelorette anyway, but for the movie and book reviews and the stories about real people. Although it is fun to read about things like Lindsay Lohan going to jail. But, anyway, I stopped buying People magazine after The Great Economy Crash because we were trying to save money and People magazine just no longer fit into our budget. And thinking about how I no longer buy People magazine made me wonder just how much money I've saved by not buying it every week.

So, let's see. Not spending $3.99 a week is a total savings of $207.48 over the course of one year. That's a couple of weeks worth of groceries right there. I probably should have put the actual cash saved in a jar somewhere though. Because I'm thinking that $3.99 a week got frittered away on something else.

2 comments:

Broken China Treasures said...

Congratulations on the big order!!

PussDaddy said...

I couldn't put up with people getting in my business like that. My philosophy is I don't give a damn about the grass and it is all dirt then the less I have to worry about it, so they would probably kick me out.

And congrats on your big order. That's great.

I think those magazines are too high now. I won't pay it. Even what used to be cheap-National Enquirers and Globes or whatever are close to 4 bucks now.
PussDaddy