Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1

June first already? What the heck? How can we possibly be half way through the year already? How come I haven't accomplished a single thing yet this year?

I hate summer here in Bakersfield. It's hot and it will be hot for the next three months and it never ever rains here. Our electric bill will soon be in the triple digits because it's HOT here! I delay using the air conditioner each day until I absolutely have to, I open up the windows and back door each day to let the 'cool' breezes flow through the house. The cool breezes and the sounds of birds and what's that noise? Oh , yes, the daily leaf blowers and lawn mowers, what a pleasant sound.
In another month or so, I won't even be able to open the windows in the morning because it will already be about 90 outside. Yuck. I don't do well in the heat. I get even lazier than usual when it's hot.

What are we doing this summer besides sitting in the air conditioned house? Not much, that's for sure.

Keith is taking a vacation this year, something he hasn't done in quite a while, what with job changes and surgeries and such. His last vacation was spent recuperating from knee surgery, and the one before that was spent recuperating from cancer surgery. What fun!

So, what will we do while he is on vacation besides get on each other's nerves because we'll be stuck in the air conditioned house because we can't afford to actually go anywhere? I'm talking not even go to the early show at the movies can't afford to go anywhere. We'd like to take the train up to Sacramento and go to Old Town for the day, but may not be able to spend the money, what with the electric bill being triple digits and all, but we'll see. It would be nice to do something fun.

I am hoping that he will get some of the still, yes still, unfinished house done while he is off work for a week, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath. Don't get me wrong, he does a lot around here, but he's been fixated on the back yard (which still isn't done and it's getting too hot to work out there) but he is a perfectionist and it takes him a long long long time to finish a project, if ever. I am getting really really tired of not having a kitchen floor. Really tired.

And, in other important thoughts that go through my head on a random basis, how do I know it my laundry load is small, medium, or super? Do you just gently drop the laundry in the washer and kind of guess by how far it fills it up? Or do you stuff that laundry down in there and put it on the super setting, and just wing it from there? They're telling me to only wash full loads, but I need some clean underwear and that goes in the white load, and there's not that much else in the whites since it's summer and I'm not wearing socks every day to keep my feet warm, so basically it's just my underwear, so am I safe in assuming it's a small load and I'll put it on the small setting to save water? I can't afford to go buy more underwear, so I have to wash the stuff, and I can't wait until I have a full load since I'm out of underwear! Oh, the quandaries we face every day!

No comments: