Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Scrabble Tile Pendant Wars

Wow, just wow. Out of curiosity I just did a search on etsy for 'scrabble tile pendant' and came up with 148 pages filled with 3094 scrabble tile pendants. The queen of the scrabble tile pendants has over 8000 sales in her shop, so everyone seems to have jumped on the 'if you make it they will buy it' train. When I first started on etsy, they were selling for around 8.00 and the price slowly went up as the original Littleputbooks sold more and more of them. You really didn't see any others on etsy until people started seeing the potential and started making their own. It seems as if in just the last few months, a new scrabble tile shop opens up at least once a week in the hopes of becoming the next top seller. Well, I think the market is pretty well saturated with scrabble tile pendants, and a bit of a price war seems to be happening here. A couple of new shops opened up selling them at 5.50-just the pendant, no chain-and now today I've found a shop that is pricing them at 4.99. I'll wait a few more months and we'll see a shop that will be paying you to buy them!
This is what they look like for those who are blissfully unaware of the scrabble tile pendant phenomenon.
Yes, they're really cute, but I'm a little baffled as to why these are so popular-no offense to any of you scrabble tile pendant makers, guess it's just like any other etsy trend. Octopuses, deer, trumpet flower earrings, all kinds of things that start selling well seem to cause this 'me too' effect.

I don't do a whole lot of browsing on etsy lately, just check the newly listed every once in a while, but today I saw the cutest baby tee ever. Now, I just need to find a baby to buy this for.
This is from littlebitsys shop on etsy: http://littlebitsys.etsy.com
Isn't that the cutest thing ever??

1 comment:

Sewing Geek said...

Hi there and thanks for the feature! Very nice of you. This is actually my last left of the bunny series so maybe I need to make more. Nice blog, too! :) Mary