Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Out Of The Mouths of Babes and Crafters Block

Next door there is a little boy about 6 or so, a typical rough and tumble kid that gets into his normal share of trouble. Lately he has been hanging out with two other little boys who are into skateboarding. These boys are emulating the big skater kids with the shaggy 70's hair and the whole 'I'm so cool' attitude. As I was walking to the mailbox the other day I heard one of the kids say to his friend 'fuck you, retard!'.
While I'm sure he heard these words right in his own home it got me thinking about when I was a kid and you never heard anything stronger than a 'dammit' here and there. I didn't know the work fuck existed until I was at least in high school and I don't think I said it myself until I was about 30. Not that it really bothers me, my husband says it at least 10 times in the course of a normal conversation, but hearing it come out of the mouth of a 6 year old did stop me in my tracks for a minute.

And what does crafter's block have to do with this?

Nothing at all.

I've just been experiencing a little bit of uninspiredness lately when it comes to making things for my etsy shop. I need something new to make but don't know what and I don't want to spend any more money on supplies to try out something new. I think part of it is that August was my best month ever on etsy and September is a lot slower. I'm wondering if it's because I raised my prices a little on some items and also raised shipping after doing my books and realizing that I was losing money on shipping what with at least 50c for each envelope and bubble wrap and then a minimum of $1.50 for the actual postage. Or it could be that there are just so many jewelry sellers on etsy that it's getting harder and harder to be seen.

Oh, well, let me get into my 'studio' and maybe if I just get myself going instead of sitting at the computer I'll have a moment of inspiration or something.

No comments: