Monday, January 19, 2015

New Year's Resolutions Anyone?

No? Me neither. Although if I had made a resolution to get more exercise, having a ball of energy type dog certainly helps. I've gone for a walk every single day since a few days after getting the little yapper. I'm about ready to go for 2 walks a day but it's been kind of cold outside so for now one a day is about all I can handle. My legs must be getting used to it all, I could have gone a bit further than we went today (which was pretty far) but I don't want to make her walk too far on those short little legs. Although the guy down the street with 3 little yappers walks them out of our neighborhood and up the main street, down the street by the high school, then down the street by the grocery stores and then back around down the street by Walmart behind our houses. A big huge rectangle basically. It's a long way to walk, I have no idea exactly how far but even on a bike it's a bit daunting.

So, the walking part is good. The barking part not so much. She is a barker, that's for sure. I did a little googling of Chiweenies and yes, while they are very loyal and a good companion, they do love love love to bark. It's the small dog syndrome I guess, I'm small but I have a big bark!

She is also getting quite territorial, she likes to sleep with me when Keith's not here and gets down under my covers with me. Last night I was almost asleep when Buddy jumped up on the bed and Millie DID NOT WANT anyone else on the bed and came out from under the covers snarling at him. She got a spanking and a BAD DOG for doing that and this morning Buddy got back at her with a swipe of his claws.

I can't imagine having this type of dog if you are away at work all day. Besides the barking at every little thing, they really do need a lot of attention and most of the time want to be near a person. This afternoon I was trying to work on the computer and list stuff in my shops and she wanted to be on my lap and when that didn't work got up behind me on the chair. I finally put her bed on the shelf under the workbench/desk and she seemed happy enough to lay down there by my feet. That's where she is right now.

She is also just like the cats in that you can't go to the bathroom without an animal following you in there. They see you just sitting there and hey! your hands are free to pet me!

I have a feeling this year is going to go by quickly, here it is over halfway through the first month already. Time does fly by fast when you get old!

No comments: