Sunday, September 1, 2013

When Doves Cry

We have lots of mourning doves around our house, there was the one that built a nest in my bike basket a few years ago, the ones that tried to build a nest on top of the ladder that Keith left laying against the house, and the ones that tried to build a nest on top of the outdoor light fixture. Since we have been putting out bird seed on a regular basis, our yard has become quite the destination for doves. I really like doves even if they aren't the sharpest crayons in the box, nest building on tops of ladders being an example. Also not seeing the cat that is just a few feet away from them as they peck at the ground. I love their coos and the fluttering chirping sound they make when they are startled into flight. Our bird feeder is actually a bird bath that is full of seed instead of water and I've been entertained by the many doves that slide down the sides of the bird bath into the seed like they are skiing down a slope.

Now, it's never crossed my mind that doves could also be food, but on the local news tonight there was a story about dove hunting season having opened today and send in your pictures! So, I'm guessing eating dove is kind of a big deal around here. Does it taste like chicken and why does the thought of eating a dove kind of disturb me when I eat chicken almost every day? And how much meat could possibly be on a wild dove anyway?

Out of curiosity, I looked up recipes for dove. Apparently it takes quite a few of them to make a meal, if this recipe is any indication.

Dove d'Elegence
12 Doves
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/3 cup chives, chopped
1 T. salt
1 T. pepper
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup water
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup brandy
1 can (17 oz.) English peas
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 tsp. margarine or butter
Place doves in casserole dish. Arrange onions, celery and chives around. Salt and pepper. Add milk, water, mushroom soup, brandy, peas, margarine and bouillon cubes. Bake at 375F. for 2 hours. Remove doves and place on platter. Thicken gravy. Pour over doves. Serve with wild rice. Serves 4.

Okay, when it says to place doves in a casserole dish, are they plucked like a chicken and have their heads cut off or what? I need more information, people!

I'm guessing dove hunters would be the only ones ever using this recipe, though, and I'm sure they know how to prepare the doves before cooking. I've never noticed doves in plastic packages next to the chicken at the grocery store, that's for sure. And, again, does dove taste like chicken?

No comments: