Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Guess It Pays To Look Old

And get a senior discount without even knowing they offer one.

Yesterday I was having a bad dizzy day, with my ear feeling stuffed full of cotton and a constant rushing sound in my ear and every time I moved my head or stood up too suddenly I was quite dizzy. I decided I didn't want to wait until next week when we both have doctor appointments already set up for our annuals and had Keith take me over to the nearby Urgent Care to see a doctor about it.

We had some errands to run first, a trip to the post office and a stop at the craft store and then went to Urgent Care where the wait really wasn't all that bad and I got to see a doctor after about 30 minutes and two magazines. The magazine selection was dismal, by the way. Anyway, it's not allergies and fluid behind my eardrum this time, but rather little crystals of calcium carbonate in the ear that get disturbed somehow and move around and cause dizziness. Or at least that is the theory. It's called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (or BPPV for short) meaning a not serious but sudden and unpredictable onset of vertigo caused by changing your position.

And what can you do about it? Not a whole lot, there really is no treatment other than a thing where they move your head around in the hopes that your ear rocks will go back where they belong. You can take seasick pills but that is about it. I did get a prescription for meclizine and took one last night. So far this morning I do feel a little less fuzzy headed. Supposedly the condition will heal on its own in a few weeks and the moving your head around treatment is supposed to hasten that. We'll see.

This condition must be behind the old saying something along the lines of if you believe that you've got rocks in your head. Ya think?

Anyway, after the doctor and getting my prescription filled and me not wanting to go home and cook dinner we went over to IHOP where we got breakfast for dinner. I went to go pay and gave the cashier 25.00 and she hands me back the five and some more change and said she gave us a discount, and I'm all like happy and saying thank you and when I look on the receipt we got the BOGO senior discount and got one breakfast free! So, I'm must look every single one of the 57 years old that I am turning today. So, Happy Birthday to me, and we're going out to eat again tonight since it's our 9th anniversary, too, but not to IHOP even if they do give an old people discount.

No, tonight we are going to BJ's Brewery where I will have the chopped honey mustard chicken salad that no matter how hard I try to recreate at home just doesn't come out the same. Maybe we will even have dessert!

1 comment:

Heather on Meerkat said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!! You share the same actual birth day with one of the guys I work for - same year and all. Hope you have a fun dinner!! xoxo