Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Some Really Good Chicken Salad

I've talked before about how much I like a good chicken salad, you know, lots of mayo and some celery, and maybe some almonds or pecans thrown in there. A Waldorf chicken salad is also quite tasty, just make your Waldorf salad (apples, celery, walnuts, and mayo by the way) and add some chicken (cooked previously of course) to it. Now we all know mayo is not good for us but what is these days, so you can use light mayo or even, heaven forbid, fat free mayo (yuck). I first had Waldorf chicken salad at a lady's luncheon or bridal shower or something and have always tried to duplicate it over the years, but never got mine to taste quite as good. Probably because someone else made it and other people's food always tastes better than mine. Because I don't have to make it.

Anyway, over the years I've made a few chicken salads here and there and have never quite gotten the taste down right until I found a recipe for sour cream chicken salad. That's what mine has been missing all these years, sour cream. Something I don't normally use because I've never liked sour cream in my food all that much. But try this and I guarantee you will like it.

Sour Cream Chicken Salad

Kosher salt and pepper (or whatever salt and pepper you have handy)
1 1/2 lb cooked chicken breasts (I wish recipes would just say 4 chicken breasts or whatever because I have no idea how many chicken breasts are in 1 1/2 lb, so just cook up some chicken or be really lazy and buy a rotisserie chicken already cooked)
1/4 cup sour cream (here you can go fat free or reduced fat if you want)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 scallions, thinly sliced.

Now here is where my ineptitude in the kitchen comes to light. Keith was convinced, and I wasn't quite sure, that scallions are different than green onions. So, I looked and looked for scallions in the grocery store, finally googled them, and here in California we call scallions green onions. Same thing. Duh.

And I don't much like scallions/green onions, so I go with celery instead. But Keith likes the scallions/green onions so his chicken salad is green onioned.

Okay, so for the dressing you whisk together the sour cream, mayo, and 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper. Then you add the chicken, toss to coat, and then add the scallions/green onions or celery or whatever else you want in your chicken salad.

Makes good sandwiches for those of you who are still allowed to eat bread, or just put it on a plate and eat it.

No comments: