Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cheap Books

We have a Goodwill store just down the road from us that only sells books, or at least mostly books. I found this store a few years ago and went there from time to time looking for something to read or something to cut up for crafty stuff. They also had shelves of knick knacky stuff and other odds and ends of people's junk, but most of the store was taken up by books. Junky books but also some gems mixed in here and there.

Yesterday I went to the Goodwill book store looking for something to read and was pleasantly surprised by a few changes they have made. Gone were the shelves of knick knacks and in place of them were two round tables and chairs so you could sit and look through the books you found. Hey, now this I like! Plus, I also liked that I got two bags of books for $8.75, but that's beside the point.

I got to thinking that maybe they are trying to get the sit around the bookstore type crowd in the Goodwill, so here's my idea. Get a little coffee cart or bar going and then people will come to the new downscale bookstore complete with coffee shop!

This morning we did our Winco grocery shopping with a detailed list and a menu plan and we were able to get out of there for under $100.00. I added things up on a piece of paper as we shopped to keep it under our budget and that really helped, too, no big heart attacking surprise at the checkout because we stuck a bunch of extras in the cart.

I've also been nagging Keith about the unfinished kitchen this weekend and he's making an effort to get something (anything!) done. He has such grand ideas but gets bored with the process so things just kind of sit there half done. I would really like to have a finished kitchen before the end of the year. Here's hoping. And nagging.

1 comment:

PussDaddy said...

I used to buy books at Thrift Stores, too. I admit now I use a book trade in place, where I trade them in for partial credit. If they don't take them there then I drop them off and donate them somewhere.

PussDaddy