Monday, September 22, 2008

Little Houses

I've always loved little things. One of my favorite series of books to read when I was growing up was The Borrowers-the little world with little people and their little adventures fascinated me. Dollhouses and miniature shadow boxes still fascinate me.

Years ago I made little cardboard house ornaments, painstakingly cutting and gluing papers and cardboard together, making tiny little windows out of paper, and gluing little dried flowers around the base for a garden. These little houses took hours and hours to make and I think I sold them for around $5.00. And I sold a lot of them, most buyers not realizing that the entire house was made by hand. I'd been thinking about these little houses lately, wanting to try something a little different with my collage papers. The thought of cutting and gluing the houses together made me think twice, though, so yesterday I made a trip to Michaels, thinking maybe they had some premade houses that I could embellish. So, I found these houses in the Christmas section and brought some home to paint and paper and glitter up. I think they came out pretty cute.


At first they looked kind of plain, so I added some of my plastic flowers and some rhinestones and glitter to sparkle them up and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. The visions in my head are nothing like the end result, of course, but I guess that's all part of the creative process.

I wasn't sure how to price these, they do have a lot of work in them but not a lot of material cost, so I did a search on etsy for cardboard houses to get a price range and I found the cutest shop with the most original little houses I've ever seen.

These are from http://recyclerabbit.etsy.com and I just love them!
She does the imaging on the computer and then makes the houses out of recycled cardboard, like cereal boxes.
These bird houses are just too cute!

2 comments:

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

Do you remember that whole neighborhood you made me out of lunch bags? You drew / colored windows, doors, flowers and made a school, store, office etc? That was my favorite gift you ever made for me. How about making cool sets of those (but more fancy)? I LOVED that neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I have some little unfinished bird houses that I picked up at the dollar store earlier this year... I want to paint them at some point, but who knows when I'll get around to it.

let me know if you get hooked, I'll send you pictures and see if I can't get more for you to play with... if you want. You know what I mean. But for a buck, they are too damn cute, and would be fun to mess with.
;)