Monday, October 12, 2009

Random Thoughts

Columbus Day? Does anyone other than federal or state employees even get this day off any more? I noticed our bank has a sign saying that they will be open today, so maybe even banks are giving up on this holiday.

Keith didn't shut his alarm off all the way this morning so at 4:30 am I woke up to his alarm beeping away. I don't know how to shut his off, so I had to get up and go find him to turn it off. He was in the garage. I don't know why he was in the garage at 4:30 am. Looking for something he needed to take to work today? I don't know and didn't ask. I just wanted the alarm shut off so I could go back to bed.

We went to the annual Peddler's Fair at the Kern County Museum on Saturday. We really couldn't afford to go but we haven't done anything fun in so long that we scrounged up the admission price and wandered around for a few hours. I saw a few things that I might have bought back in our more prosperous days but most of what was there didn't appeal to me much. It seemed that there were a lot fewer vendors there, maybe they couldn't afford the $125.00 booth fees this year. The food vendors were fewer, too, and I was really disappointed that they didn't have the coffee people this time, I was looking forward to a frothy coffee drink but nobody was selling anything hot, just water and lemonade and soda.

Other than that, it was another rather dull weekend.

I was listening to Bob and Tom this morning and they were talking about school lunches back in the day, how you got hot lunch and what they were serving that day was what you got. No choices, just what the lunch lady gave you. We always got hot lunch and it was like a mini dinner, meat, potatoes, vegetables. Peas, usually canned peas. You would try to get away with stuffing your vegetables into your empty milk carton but the lunch ladies would come around and check to make sure you ate your vegetables and would rattle your milk carton to make sure you drank your milk.

I'm trying to decide what to do today. I don't have any supplies to make anything but soldered glass pendants and don't really feel like making any since they are not exactly flying off the shelves these days. I do have some housework I could do even though I just vacuumed yesterday. I was using the wand thing on the vacuum yesterday to clean the edges around the kitchen and sucked up a toy mouse with it. Oops. It went all the way into the vacuum, so now there is a toy mouse in with all the dirt and cat hair. We have one of those bagless vacuums so you can see what all the vacuum is sucking up and it's amazing how much cat hair gets on the floor even with vacuuming every few days. Big wads of cat hair.

And that is all I can think of to talk about.

1 comment:

stevie said...

I came to check out your blog and saw your jewelry. I think that you are also assembling your jewelry. Nothing actually handmade about it. You use pieces that you purchase and you put them together. That is assembly. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Hypocritical to call out other sellers when you do the same thing. When you start making all of your components you can call yourself an artist, not an assembler.