Thursday, July 19, 2007

Custom Orders and Procrastination

Procrastination. Why are so many of us afflicted with this disease? Why do something today that you can put off until tomorrow, or next week even? I think the worst procrastination moment is the one where you are supposed to call the dentist to make an appointment for your checkup. Now, is there anyone in the world who enjoys going to the dentist and looks forward to those every 6 months checkups? I don't think so! So, we pick up the phone, start to dial, then, no, I'll call them tomorrow, they're probably busy and I'll get put on hold right now, and before you know it, weeks have gone by and still no dentist appointment.
Now, I love to make things. I love it so much that it is now my full-time job to make things. So, why do I procrastinate when I have a special order that needs to be filled, and filled soon? I have a big order that will bring me a nice paycheck, but for some reason I keep finding other things that I need to do instead of working on that order. In fact, I'm writing this while I should be working on that order. Is it because when it's a special order it becomes real work instead of fun? I think it goes back to childhood days when homework or report writing loomed over our heads. I remember playing school with my sisters, but when it came to real school who wants to go there? I've always loved to read, but having to read a book and writing a report on it took all the pleasure away.
Or, am I just completely lazy? That might be it.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

People like us (yep, me included) just are not eager to do what we MUST do. Even enjoyable things lose their luster when they are mandated (as you pointed out).

We are sick - that is what it is. ;)

bencandance said...

Yes, I think you are on to something with the special orders being like "assignments due" from school. I tend to procrastinate too because I know they 'have' to get done. :P